Section 27 (B) Critical Skills Permit - SA Immigration Group n

Section 27 (B) Critical Skills Permit

What is a Section 27 (B) Critical Skills Permit?

The Critical Skills Permit is Permanent Residency and was introduced with the law change that took place in May 2014. The Critical Skills Permit allows the applicants family to apply for their Permanent Residency upfront along with the main applicant. If you wish to include a spouse/partner please note that you have to either be married for five years or be in a relationship for five years whereby you can show five years’ worth of shared cohabitation and shared finances.

Are you eligible for a Section 27 (B) Critical Skills Permit?

Should you have a specific skill in terms of your qualifications and post graduate experience as per the Critical Skills List along with five years of post-graduate experience, you are eligible for this visa. In order to apply you will need to obtain a SAQA Certificate and register with the designated professional body (both of which we can assist you with). Please click here to view the Critical Skills List. Please note that your five years of post-graduate experience does not have to have been in South Africa.

Processing times

Whilst VFS states on their website that Permanent Residency applications take 8 – 10 months we can realistically manage your expectations from the start and inform you that they are currently taking anywhere from 3 – 24 months to obtain an outcome.

It is important that whilst you await the outcome of your Permanent Residency application in South Africa that you ensure that your Temporary Residency visa does not expire before you receive the outcome. If your Temporary Residency is due to expire in this time you will have to submit a renewal which can be done no later than 60 days before your Temporary Visa is due to expire.

Frequently asked questions about the Section 27 (B) Critical Skills Permit?

Are there any conditions issued on my Permanent Residency?
There are no conditions stipulated in the Immigration Act and we are yet to see any conditions stipulated on the Critical Skills Permit thus far.

Do I get a South African passport?
No, you will retain your foreign passport however will be given a Permanent Residency certificate which will allow you to apply for an ID Book. A Permanent Resident will have all rights of a South African Citizen except to vote.

For a free assessment please complete the form below and a consultant will make contact with you within 2 working hours.